Monday, September 21, 2009

It has just become routine to update this about every 3+ months... I mean, I don't want to be too overzealous! 

So, it is now mid-September and I have only about 3 more months here in Istanbul.  It has been a good ride, but I think I am ready for my next adventure... which some of you know is marriage! Who would have thought that when I came out here July 2008 I would find the love of my life. I was prepared for a great experience... which I did have, but a different kind of experience.  For some reason I never realized that there would be a whole ex-pat community that are probably similar to me.  A community that likes to hang out together, go to sporting matches (specifically football/soccer), drink some brews and just have a good time.  I came thinking that I would be spending a lot of time with "myself".  I guess that all depends on where you end up, and life here in Kadikoy leaves no room for me time.  Enough reflection, that will come after the whole experience if over. 


Life in Kadikoy, as of September 21, 2009....

The weather has turned for the worst.  A few weeks back I felt the change and knew that summer would not be back. :( That means no more beach time, instead time for shoes, coats and umbrellas. YAY! 

Basketball has become a popular outing for some of us, as we try to cope with the fact that there is another sport in Turkey.  We've been hitting the courts early, so that we avoid both masses of people and balls flying around the single court and the unpredictable weather.  It has been great to get out there again.

School has been going quite well.  I have been enjoying the upper level classes recently, although I did start up a level 2 class that I am so excited for.  They are a younger group, so all my learning "games" will go over great with them.  They also have more energy, which is imperative for a weekend morning class if you want to avoid torture for 4 hours.  I am also starting up my first private through the company.  I will be working with a young girl who just got a job as a flight attendant.  Hopefully she's a cool chick, or else these 30 hours of one-on-one time with her could feel like 100.  Anyway, things at work right now are going alright.  Nothing major to complain about, but who really wants to hear complaining anyway??!?  The fact that I only have 3 more months might be a bit helpful too.  

Here in Turkey there are 2 major holidays.  These holidays are meant to be spent with family, but for us foreigners... it means travel time!  We have one more day of the first one, Seker Bayram, which means Sugar Holiday... it is the few days after Ramazan, where many people fast from sunrise to sunset.  They reward themselves at the end by stuffing themselves with as much food and sweets as possible, hence the name Seker/Sugar Bayram.  For this one we decided to stick around Kadikoy and make use of a few days to relax, spend time with friends and hang out.  The second holiday is Kurban Bayram.  This is when the animal sacrifices go on.  Again... time to travel, and this time we are!  We will be heading to Krakow/Crakow, Poland for some good ol' vodka (vodke) and cold weather.  Greg and I will be there for about 4 or 5 full days (cannot remember at the moment) and will treat it like our Christmas.  I am very much looking forward to seeing the motherland, well... kinda my motherland.  As time gets closer I will fill all in on the details.  Requests will hopefully be fulfilled, so send them my way.  Aunt Pam, I will look for that rolling-pin!  

Other than all that, things are normal.  No ring yet, but we have a very tempting one sitting in a shop real close that might need purchasing within the next few days.  As soon as that happens, pictures will be up!  

Well, I want to post this before my luck runs out and the internet dies.  Hope all is well and I look forward to share these future exciting times with you all! 

Love around,
Katie

No comments: